Lidocaine exists in several topical drugs and medications that offer relief from skin conditions, muscle pains, sunburn, rashes, allergic reactions, and bug bites. But do you know what Lidocaine is and how it helps with these varying conditions?
Lidocaine is found in shots, patches, IVs, and sprays, and it's used in curing from labor pains to shingles. This is a look at 5% topical Lidocaine ointments. While the drug is thoroughly tested and with minimal side effects, it's important to learn about any medication or drug and whether Lidocaine is ideal for you and your affliction.
Lidocaine is one of the common ingredients in topical medications that assist in reducing pain, burning sensation, and itching. It’s a form of the drug known as an anesthetic and assists in numbing the body tissues they get in contact with, masking the itching, burning, or pain you might be feeling.
It achieves this by blocking pain signals that are transmitted to your brain. Experts use the drug as a local anesthetic before various procedures.
5% is the highest concentration level of topical Lidocaine you can get. Typically, hemorrhoid creams contain 4-5%. However, you can find over-the-counter ointment with below 4 percent.
Uses of Lidocaine
As a common OTC anesthetic, Lidocaine is a versatile medication since it has several uses. It's an effective symptom reducer for hemorrhoids, but it is used for numerous abrasions, cuts, rashes, bites, and even inflammation affecting your skin.
It's helpful for hemorrhoids for various reasons:
Haemorrhoids cause itching, pain, and burning and can disrupt daily life. Lidocaine items for haemorrhoids comprise wipes, creams, and sprays and can significantly lessen the discomfort and inflammation as the condition heals. While it might not cure hemorrhoids, it will lessen the symptoms.
Other uses comprise:
- Tattoos: 5% topical Lidocaine is utilized to numb the skin before the tattoo. You can use it afterward as the skin heals.
- Mouth sores: Lidocaine is included in gels and sprays utilized to cure ulcers and sores in your mouth. The ingredient dulls the discomfort and makes the ulcers go away.
- Stings and bug bites: 5% topical Lidocaine drugs can lessen the itching and pain caused by stings and bug bites.
- Sunburn: When having a serious sunburn, the pain will disrupt your sleep and other important aspects of your life. The drug will numb the pain allowing you to get the healing you need.
- Cuts: The topical application of the drug will numb the pain caused by cuts and abrasions.
Precautions for using 5% lidocaine ointment
Before taking any medication, it's important to consult a healthcare expert to make sure it's safe for use. This is true if you suffer from various conditions like heart issues, allergies, pregnancy & lactating, and sores & cuts since Lidocaine can't interact with them properly.
It would help if you also observed more caution for localized Lidocaine injections. So, it's important to be under the supervision of a healthcare practitioner who shares the side effects and interactions of lidocaine ointment 5%.
Lidocaine is a common drug in topical treatment for general discomfort, itching, and pain. It's safe to use as it doesn’t interfere with other medications. Nevertheless, it is vital to follow the manufacturer’s directions.